[NFBC-Info] Voting

president at nfbcal.org president at nfbcal.org
Tue Jun 16 22:36:57 UTC 2020

All,

Many have questions about the accessibility of voting in California given
work that is being done in other states to ensure accessible absentee voting
access.  California law requires that counties offer remote accessible
vote-by-mail  (RAVBM) ballot marking tools as of 2020.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billCompareClient.xhtml?bill_id=2017
20180AB1013&showamends=false

This means that you will be able to complete your ballot using your screen
reader and a computer, print the ballot and sign using a tactile guide on
the provided envelope.  This is a very new requirement and the landscape is
rapidly changing.  Please let me know if issues arise.  In theory, we have
set the foundation for private and independent voting by mail in California
for the November election.  You may want to visit your local county voting
official to ensure you can use this new technology.  Here are the approved
systems if you wish to do some research prior to November.

 <https://votingsystems.cdn.sos.ca.gov/vendors/ravbm-faq2.pdf>
https://votingsystems.cdn.sos.ca.gov/vendors/ravbm-faq2.pdf