[NFBC-Info] Your Upgrade To Windows 10

nancy Lynn seabreeze.stl at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 22:29:04 UTC 2020

These suggestions of what to do when upgrading to windows 10 are from Jayson Smith. He gave them to me and said I can share them. If you share them with anyone else at a later time, please give Jay credit. Thanks.
1. I would suggest backing up as much as possible to an external drive,

just in case. If your system has multiple internal hard drives or

multiple partitions on the same internal hard drive, back them all up to

an external. It's quite likely that nothing will go wrong, but it's

better to be safe than sorry.

2. Stress to whomever is doing the upgrade that you want to keep

everything, programs and data. I'm pretty sure if the upgrade is

initiated from within Windows 7, it assumes you want to keep everything.

However, if they boot directly from Windows 10 installation media,

they'll be given the option to keep everything, erase everything, etc.

One wrong mouse click or miscommunication might lead to a complete

reformat of the system drive if the installer is not careful, which is

just one reason I recommend backing up everything you can.

3. Before Windows 10 actually installs, it does a series of checks to

make sure everything's ready to be upgraded. One of these checks is to

make sure all software currently installed on the system will be

compatible with Windows 10. If any incompatible programs are found, the

person upgrading your system will be given the chance to uninstall them,

and must do so before the upgrade will proceed. In particular, versions

of JAWS prior to 17.0 are not compatible with Windows 10, so if you

still have some old JAWS versions installed but not being used, you may

want to uninstall them ahead of time. Also, if you're using Microsoft

Security Essentials, it will need to be uninstalled before upgrading. If

any other incompatible programs or drivers are found, you should have

the person doing the upgrade contact you before proceeding so you can

take appropriate action depending on what the program is E.G. go ahead

and uninstall it and proceed, or abort the whole upgrade if it's

something you can't live without.

4. Once the upgrade is complete, JAWS may or may not start automatically

when the system starts. I have no idea what causes this, but installing

the latest JAWS seems to fix it. Also, if JAWS does start, it may

complain that the display mirror driver is not properly installed.

Again, reinstalling JAWS fixes this. Note that if you upgrade to a newer

JAWS that is still within your JAWS software maintenance agreement, it

might ask you to activate again, but it shouldn't actually deduct an

activation from what you have available.

Hope this helps,