[NFBC-Info] Student division newsletter, 11/02-11/08

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 18:04:57 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Last week was exciting for the student division, as we had our first
two conference calls. We had a great turnout at the Meet-The-Board
call on Saturday. We learned some interesting facts about the
board--multiple of us had some embarrassing unmuted moments during
Zoom classes, and one of us prepared for a science fair they weren't
quite qualified for. All in attendance were slightly repulsed by the
five-pound gummy bears that apparently exist, but we couldn't agree on
one book to read for the rest of life. Mary highly recommends An
Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth.

Most importantly, we discussed our three committees this year. We have
the Outreach and Fundraising committees, and the new Affiliate
Communications Squad. All three groups are already hard at work
planning goals for this year. Outreach is thinking about working on
the website, along with the usual membership calls. CAGDU (the guide
dog users division) may be joining us for a fun and informative
discussion on NFB philosophy and how different agencies adhere (or
don't) to our ability to live the lives we want in a positive manner.
Fundraising is always looking for great ideas, since our work is
somewhat inhibited by this virtual environment. If you want details
about the meeting schedule, feel free to email me or anyone else on
the board. Want details on ACS? Read on, friends.

Directly after the meet-the-board call was our inaugural Affiliate
Communications Squad meeting, which was also very well-attended. The
goal of this committee is to work with the affiliate, to contribute
however much we can, and to give our members a taste of affiliate
work. The student division has a high turnover, because though we are
learning for life, we are not always in school. Sometimes members
leave the affiliate after being involved with us, but the NFB is much
more intricate, and always loves involvement in the fulfilling work we
do. We hope that through our work with other chapters and divisions,
we can gain experience while contributing valuable insights.

Got questions, comments, or suggestions? We would love to hear them.
Feel free to email me.

Lastly, we would like to acknowledge that regardless of political
leaning, last week was very difficult. please take time for some
essential self-care. Students, don't be afraid to ask for extensions
on assignments. Everyone, carve out some time to relax. Immerse
yourselves, at least for a little while, in the hobbies that you might
neglect because of work and school. Reflect on your identity, and
recharge for this next period in America's history. Stay tuned for
more CABS updates and most importantly, stay safe and healthy!

Sincerely,
Cricket X. Bidleman (on behalf of the CABS board)

--
Cricket X. Bidleman (she/her/hers)
Stanford University | Class of 2021