[NFBC-Info] FW: NFB of CA State Convention Pre Registration form

president at nfbcal.org president at nfbcal.org
Wed Aug 18 02:58:11 UTC 2021

Friends,

As you will note from the message forwarded below, it is California convention time!  We are gearing up to offer a spectacular virtual convention this year.  As much as we wanted to be with everyone in person, our board decided in April that we needed to stick with a virtual format for one more convention.  We're looking forward to both an inclusive and informative event for all involved.

We would really like to encourage more people to get involved with convention activities.  I'm currently assigning committees and making lists of people who want to help.  Would you like to plug-in and work with our team?  Here are some of the committees and teams that I'll be finalizing in the next week and beyond:

Ambassador: Counsel newly blind people or individuals knew to our community to help them find resources and networks before, during and after the convention
Scholarships: Mentor our next generation of students at the convention
Resolutions: Propose policies for adoption by the vote of the membership during convention
Nominations: Select the proposed candidates for open seats on the board
Exhibits: Help our coordinator find and retain exhibitors, sponsors and generous donors
Executive Suite/Information Desk: Volunteer to welcome people and answer questions during convention
Banquet: Audition to perform or handle other ceremonials
Parents: Help our parents have a successful meeting and spread the word
Diversity and Inclusion: Promote inclusion within our diverse membership during convention and throughout the year
Spanish Translation: Help us reach the large number of Spanish-speaking blind people in the state and translate presentations during the convention
Social Media: Help us promote and engage during #NFBCal21
Steering and Promotion: Help us plan and promote the convention over the coming weeks to reach as many blind people as possible.
Audio Video: Help us with recording, video media and other presentation tasks during convention
Rookies: Help introduce first-timers to the convention experience
Door Prizes: Help us locate and gather items for door prizes during the convention
Auction Baskets: Help us locate items for fundraising and write clever descriptions for items in baskets
Zoom Training: Teach those who are new to technology to use our convention platforms and trouble-shoot technical glitches
PAC: Help individuals join the Pre-Authorized Contribution program
Transportation: Join a new group of individuals focusing on access to transportation in the state
Legislative: Join the new team that will be helping us launch a state legislative program for bills authored and introduced by our organization
Rehabilitation: Join a new group that will be focusing on improvements and resources for vocational rehabilitation training and services
Social Security: Volunteer to help individuals navigate questions and issues around Social Security benefits
Chapters: Sign up to be introduced to others for forming a local chapter in your region where one does not already exist

  If you haven't already expressed an interest in getting involved with the above, then email president at nfbcal.org or call (916) 382-0372 and let us know what you are interested in joining.  For those items directly involving the upcoming convention, please respond in the next week.

I look forward to an amazing convention.  Let's achieve something great for blind people in California.

Regards,

Tim Elder
President
president at nfbcal.org
(916) 382-0372
http://www.nfbcal.org/

Did you know that blind Californians are holding monthly meetings in your region over Zoom and telephone?  Check out our virtual local chapter and division meetings.  All are welcome to attend.
 http://www.nfbcal.org/chapters-and-divisions/