[NFBC-Info] President's notebook, December 2022

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 17:20:23 UTC 2022

Dear all,

We had a great convention just under a month ago, and I hope this will
lead to an energetic, productive year.

Pre-convention, we had 200 attendees, 160 of whom attended in-person,
and 40 of whom attended virtually. I’m sure that people registered
on-site as well. Endless thanks to all of our sponsors, and to
President Mark Riccobono and Gene Kim for being our national
representative and NABS representative, respectively. I appreciate
President Riccobono’s authenticity, and I love Gene’s great sense of
humor. 😊 And of course, congratulations to our new board members,
Carmen Varella and Karen Steele. We all very much look forward to your
contributions and energy over the course of your terms.

At the auction, the affiliate made $5930.80, which will fund our
efforts over the coming year. Thanks in particular to Clusiv, whose
donations of two year-long courses will, I hope, prove valuable to the
people who won them. That was a spectacular, lively auction, and I
hope this trend will continue in future years.

The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) committee recommended a
constitutional amendment for gender-neutral language. We appreciate
your voting it through. We also appreciate your passing of the virtual
voting resolution, and are already planning for this next year. We
plan to have bi-monthly calls that are open to general membership, and
will get back to you on the schedule for that.

Washington Seminar is coming up. This is a great opportunity to push
for our legislative priorities, including the Websites and Software
Applications Accessibility Act, which will be integral to our future.
It is far past time that we be included in technological development,
instead of being left one step behind. Each year, the affiliate
provides funding for a number of people to attend Washington Seminar.
This year, the board has chosen to provide up to 15 people with up to
$1000 to represent us in the nation’s capital. Please apply for
funding here: https://ulwxastpyh.formstack.com/forms/washington_seminar

And, of course, it is now the holiday season. I have mixed feelings
around the holidays, but it’s an opportunity to celebrate the passage
of another year with family and friends. It’s a great time for baked
goods, New Year’s resolutions, decorations, music, and other
festivities. And thank-you notes, which are important in showing
appreciation for gifts and for people. Got any favorite holiday
recipes? Send them my way—I’m always looking for new things to try.

I wasn’t aware of the NFB tradition of Santa letters until recently.
It’s a great bonding opportunity. You can get a packet containing a
Braille letter, a print one, and some Christmas activities complete
with instructions. The deadline is December 17th. Here’s the link:
https://nfb.org/programs-services/early-childhood-initiatives/santa-letters

The San Diego chapter will be having a Double Good Popcorn fundraiser
from December 15-19. Someone from the chapter will send a link once
its available. Popcorn is a great stocking stuffer, party favor, etc.
I help my friends make some every year, so trust me when I say that
getting some is a lot more convenient than making giant pots of
caramel.

That’s it for now. Update from San Fernando Valley below. Please
contact your chapters and divisions if you feel that they should
include something in here. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Best,
Cricket

San Fernando Valley Holiday Party: December 10, RSVP Required

Tis' the season to be jolly! Let's all make this season bright! Come
and join the San Fernando Valley Chapter  at our annual Holiday
Party.