[NFBC-Info] Attend Jury Trial in Los Angeles May 23-25

president at nfbcal.org president at nfbcal.org
Thu May 11 17:25:38 UTC 2023

Dear Federation Friends,

Come join us May 23-25 in Los Angeles for an important legal advocacy event.
I and many others will be watching the jury retrial of the Los Angeles
Community College District.  LACCD refuses to resolve our concerns about
ongoing discrimination against blind community college students, illustrated
by its past treatment of Roy Payan and Portia Mason.  The trial begins on
Tuesday, May 23 and is expected to last for three days.

I, blind college students and interested members will be attending to show
support and observe the trial.  Each morning at 9:00 a.m. PT, on
Tuesday-Thursday, May 23-25, we will gather in front of Courtroom 10A, 10th
Floor, 350 W. 1st Street, Los Angeles, California 90012.  I will also be
visiting with folks during the breaks to discuss the case and what is
happening in the trial.  I expect we'll be going out to lunch and dinner
together on May 23 and 24.  I don't get many opportunities to spend time
with our Southern California family.  Please make a point to come say hello
and advocate for our blind students.  All are welcome to come for one or all
days.  College students, particularly students interested in law and digital
accessibility, won't want to miss this rare opportunity to see the justice
system in action.

Please call or text (916) 382-0372 on May 23 if you have questions or
concerns.  You may also contact local chapter presidents and our student
division president:

Michael Richardson michaeljr66 at yahoo.com <mailto:michaeljr66 at yahoo.com> ;
Rochelle Houston rhouston58 at gmail.com <mailto:rhouston58 at gmail.com> ; Robert
Stigile rstigile at gmail.com <mailto:rstigile at gmail.com> ; and Shelbi Felter
sfelts at hotmail.com <mailto:sfelts at hotmail.com>

Information about the issues in the case can be found in this preliminary
ruling on appeal.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/ca9/19-56111/19-56111-
2021-08-24.html

And this article about the Supreme Court protests may be of interest.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-03-02/disability-rights-case-a
gainst-laccd-could-go-to-supreme-court

Spread the word and let me know that you're coming.  Let's join the fight
for digital access and educational opportunity in Los Angeles!

Tim Elder

President

 <mailto:president at nfbcal.org> president at nfbcal.org

(916) 382-0372

 <http://www.nfbcal.org/> http://www.nfbcal.org/

Did you know that blind Californians are holding monthly meetings in your
region over Zoom and telephone?  Check out our virtual local chapter and
division meetings.  All are welcome to attend.

 <http://www.nfbcal.org/chapters-and-divisions/>
http://www.nfbcal.org/chapters-and-divisions/