[NFBC-Pathfinder] FW: Let's Push for Answers on At-home COVID-19 Tests

tina.thomas90044 at gmail.com tina.thomas90044 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 15:05:49 UTC 2022

For your information.

Tina Thomas-

  <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/images/top-blue-bar.jpg>

  <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/images/images/nfb-logo-for-email-template.jpg>

Member Request—Help Push for Answers Regarding At-home COVID-19 Tests

The Biden administration announced that it will be distributing free at-home COVID-19 tests to households in the United States. We have communicated with the administration to ensure that the tests they are sending out are accessible for blind people to administer without assistance. However, our attempts to connect have not been answered. It is critical that these tests be accessible nonvisually as more and more in-person testing locations are declining to test walk-ins and healthcare facilities are in crisis mode.

This email is a request to tweet at President Biden (@POTUS) so the nation’s blind can get some answers.

Background

On January 3, 2022, President Riccobono wrote a letter to President Biden regarding our concerns about the accessibility of at-home COVID tests. He reminded the president that the blind have already faced many barriers during the pandemic, including inaccessible websites and drive-through-only testing sites, and these experiences reinforce the urgency of the administration to address accessibility now. President Riccobono stated that the National Federation of the Blind stands ready to collaborate with the Biden administration to ensure equal access for all Americans. We are eager to serve as the vehicle for blind people to get accurate and up-to-date information from the administration regarding COVID-19 and other home healthcare needs.

How You Can Help

Twitter is a social media platform that provides a public opportunity to demand that the Biden administration put accessible systems in place for test distribution and work with us and test manufacturers to make the tests accessible. Here are some ways to help:

Tweet to President Biden, @POTUS and let him know that accessible COVID-19 at-home tests are vital for blind people.

*    Share your concerns about the impact this will have and include the hashtag #COVID19 in your posts. (There is no hyphen in the hashtag.)

*    Follow and share posts from the National Federation of the Blind, @NFB_voice

Sample tweet:

Blind people have faced barriers during the pandemic such as inaccessible websites for testing and vaccines. I urge @POTUS to address accessibility issues to the at-home #COVID19 tests promised to the nation by responding to @Riccobono’s letter from January 3.

A twitter account will be needed to engage with this digital public push for answers. To learn more about Twitter, review our General Twitter Tips <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24208&qid=6691458> .

Additional Resources:

President Riccobono's letter from January 3 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24209&qid=6691458>

Thank you for your support and commitment. Learn more about our advocacy program <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24210&qid=6691458> .

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24211&qid=6691458>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24212&qid=6691458>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24213&qid=6691458>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24214&qid=6691458>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24215&qid=6691458>

 <https://nfb.org/civicrm/mailing/url?u=24216&qid=6691458>

National Federation of the Blind | 200 E Wells Street | Baltimore, MD 21230 | 410-659-9314

200 East Wells St.
Baltimore, 21230
United States

..