[NFBC-Pathfinder] Pathfinder chapter June 16 2022 meeting minutes

Rochelle Houston rhouston58 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 13:20:49 UTC 2022

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF CALIFORNIA
Pathfinder Chapter Los Angeles
June meeting minutes

The meeting was called to order at 10:46 AM
Jackie Stewart lead the song and Betsy Estrada gave the prayer
The Pledge of Allegiance and NFB Pledge were recited by all.
The minutes were accepted as read with the necessary corrections regarding the scholarship application start date of May 31, 2022
arietta Woods made a motion and Betsy Estrada seconded to except the minutes as read and all agreed
Nellie Cardenas will resume transcribing the chapter meeting recording starting in August.
The treasury balance is$2856.97.  This balance does not take into account the chapter meals for the May meeting at the Eucalyptus Park, which were paid for by the chapter.  Betsy will check on how to send and receive money thru Zale for the chapter.  The chapter voted to give each member attending the national convention $100 and will be sent out
Roll call was taken, and the following people were in attendance; Rochelle Houston, Charlotte Carroll, Jackie Stewart, Betsy Estrada, Arietta Woods, Michael Richardson, Nellie Cardenas, Nicholas Rocha, Ruthie Houston, Jeffery Sims, Vernell Lowery and Madeline Denton
President Rochelle , Michael Richardson and Nellie Cardenas discussed how important it is for the chapter roster to be updated, which needs to include emergency contacts for each member.  There was 1 guest Phillip
We acknowledged the sick and shut-in
We were informed that the annual dues of $25 are due every year in October, with a 2 month grace period.
There are 7 chapter members attending the national convention in New Orleans.  President Rochelle wished all of them a safe and wonderful trip
Jackie Stewart received the Kenneth Jernigan grant for the national convention.
The state convention will be held from Thursday, November 3rd, to Sunday, November 6th, at the Marriot Courtyard in San Diego.  The room rates are about $170 per night, which is $149 plus tax.  FOR the 3 nights, it cost about $510 per room.  The hotel is very small, which does not have let-out couches.  Registration is open now.  There are no restaurants in the hotel, but there is a restaurant row close by, within walking distance.  The state may be making arrangements for transportation to the state convention, and Michael Richardson will be checking on a backup plan.  As of right now, there are no definite arrangements.
The state has a monthly Notebook, informing everybody as to what is going on for the month.  If you have anything that you want to be in the newsletter for the following month, you must get it to President Rochelle days before the 23rd of the month, so that she has enough time to meet the deadline.
Arietta Woods gave the scholarship committee report, stating that the scholarship treasury has $2008.  The flyers were sent out to all of the state chapters, informing them of the requirements and deadline dates.  The scholarship will be for $500, and the venue has yet to be determined.
Charlotte Carroll gave the fund raising report.  We held a fund raiser at Shakey’s Pizza Hut in Whittier, on June 12th.  THE person in charge told me that she would notify me in about 1 to 2 weeks, as to when the check will be ready.  Arietta Woods could not make the fund raiser, so she donated $25 to the chapter.  President Rochelle talked about the play, which will be held on October 8, 2022 at the Gardena Moose Lodge.  It will cost $800 plus $300 deposit, which will be refunded after the event.  She will get the lines to the play out to all of the participants in July.  We are getting some donations already.  Jeff, the saxophone player,  will be our DJ and he is doing the sound effects
Michael Richardson gave the New Membership and Development report.  In addition to working on updating the chapter roster, him and  his chapter are still walking at the Norman Houston Park, located at 4800 S La Brea in Los Angeles.  They probably will not walk until the 3rd week in July 2022.  He also stated that we need to connect with other chapter members, offering support and help.  We should also remember to consider other members of other chapters, when looking for roommates for the state convention.
Tina Thomas had nothing to report on the Outreach Committee.
Betsy Estrada volunteered to be our Social Committee Chairperson.
President Rochelle discussed all of the things that the Hearts4Sight Organization offers.  She is going to have them do a presentation during one of our monthly meetings.
Betsy Estrada questioned why we were going to have a meeting in July, which we have never done due to the national convention.  President Rochelle explained, that since we have not been to the WLCAC center in so long, she thought it would be nice to do.  Betsy Estrada stated that she would take care of the refreshments, but she may not be able to attend, because she is going to the World Series in Texas.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:40 AM.  The motion was made by Charlotte Carroll, and seconded by Betsy Estrada.

President Rochelle Houston
Pathfinder President