[NFBC-SFV] October Presidents Notebook

Joy Stigile joystigile at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 03:31:35 UTC 2018

Greetings Federationists,

Only 25 more days until we meet at the LAX Marriott Hotel, 5855 W. Century
Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90047 for our 2018 convention of the National
Federation of the Blind of California.

Reminder!

Room reservations at the hotel for our 2018 convention will close on October
4th, 2018.

***

If you have not pre-registered for the convention you may still do so
on-line at NFBCal.org.

Excitement, excitement!  Three chapters will be chartered at this year's
convention,   enhancing our theme, Creating Connections and Building Bridges
Together.

National Federation of the Blind Brand Architecture

Our tagline:

Live the life you want.

Our one-minute message:

characteristic that defines you or your future.

Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams.

You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Our Brand Promise

Together with love, hope and determination we transform dreams into reality.

Our Brand Value Proposition

I am filled with hope, energy, and love by participating in the National
Federation of the Blind.  Because my expectations are raised, my
contributions make a difference to me and to others and I can celebrate the
realization of my dreams with my Federation family.

Our Brand Personality

Inspirational, innovative, powerful, and inviting.

Let's continue to create connections,

Ever Lee Hairston, President

H:  323.654.2975

C:  323.252.9188

ever.hairston at gmail.com <mailto:ever.hairston at gmail.com>

On October 13, the Central Valley Chapter will be having a booth at the
Modesto Farmers Market from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m., to celebrate White Cane
Safety Day!  There the chapter members will be handing out NFB flyers, and
White Cane pins, demonstrating Braille writing, orientation mobility
techniques while using a White Cane, and there will also be a 50-50
Opportunity raffle.

Rachel Grider, President, Central Valley Chapter

Greetings from the California Association of Guide Dog Users Chapter

The members would like to invite all who have registered for the Breakfast
Package at convention to join the guide dog users Chapter and people
interested in Guide Dogs to join everyone at the State Convention on Friday,
October 26 for an early breakfast meeting. We will have speakers from Guide
Dogs of America (GDA), Guide Dogs for the Blind (GDB) and Guiding Eyes for
the Blind (GEB) to introduce themselves and give a brief summary of their
respective programs.  They also have a longtime puppy raiser from GDB
joining them to talk about his experiences with raising puppy's to become
Guide Dogs.  The keynote speaker is the puppy raiser who raised Poppet, one
of the puppy's featured in "PICK OF THE LITTER" the documentary in limited
release that chronicles a litter of five puppy's journey to becoming Guide
Dogs.  As well as a couple of other surprises.  Guide Dog Users, you don't
want to miss out on this program.  CAGDU also will be selling raffle tickets
to win $100 Amazon gift card, $100 Target gift card and a $100 Starbucks
gift card.  Tickets are one ticket for $5 and five tickets for $20.

Tina Thomas, President, California Association of Guide Dog Users Chapter

The Diabetes Action Network of California (DAN) invites all of the members
of the NFBC who have purchased the Breakfast Package to join the DAN
Breakfast Seminar on October 27, Saturday at 7 a.m. until 9 a.m.  The main
speaker will be Nancy Ingram, a certified Dietician, from Health Care
Partners.  She will be speaking about good nutrition practices for all and
have time for questions from everyone.

Joy Stigile, President, Diabetes Action Network of California Chapter

Email:  joystigile at gmail.com <mailto:joystigile at gmail.com>

The California Association of Blind Students (CABS) is so excited for their
upcoming state convention.  We will have our breakfast business meeting on
Saturday, October 27th, from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.  The national student
representative will be Kathryn Webster and a lively discussion during the
business meeting will be happening, so please spread the word and invite and
encourage all students to register for the Breakfast Package!  Also, CABS
will be having two fundraisers at convention.  CABS will be selling snack
bags for $5 which will contain, chips, Cheez-It's, granola bars, gum, and
water.  Finally, they will also have a 50/50 raffle because who doesn't love
money and helping to raise money, where the lucky winner will be drawn at
the banquet.  See you all at convention!

Matthew Gip, President, California Association of Blind Students Chapter

A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind of California

Co-chair | National Association of Blind Students Outreach Committee

Phone:  559.375.2068

Email:  matthewhgip at gmail.com <mailto:matthewhgip at gmail.com>

To all NFBCA Members:

The California affiliate will be working with the "You Cane Give Initiative"
to put canes into the hands of blind people in third world countries.  We
are asking for everyone's support and participation with such a worthy
cause.  The "You Cane Give Initiative" is relying on everyone to collect all
the broken and unused canes you are not using.  The broken canes will be
re-furbished and sent to blind people in need.  They also ask if possible,
to donate a new cane or a monetary donation (make checks payable to NFBCA,
if you do not have a broken or unused cane to donate.  The collection of
canes and donations will be during the NFBCA 2018 State Convention.  There
will be a box inside of the Exhibit Hall on Friday and also during General
Session on Saturday.

For more info contact:

Edward Davis

C:  909.532.9513

Email:  1stamendmented at gmail.com <mailto:1stamendmented at gmail.com>

The Inland Empire Chapter will be supporting the Ronald McDonald House with
the help of each chapter in the National Federation of the Blind of
California.  The House is able to support many families through the backing
of the local community partners.

Pull for the Ronald McDonald House!

Support the Ronald McDonald House by participating in the pull tab
collection program. Pull tabs are the aluminum tops from cans of soda and
other beverages. The funds raised by this recycling are used to help support
the day to day operations of the House.  Each chapter that participates, by
bringing a bag of pull tabs, with the chapter name labeled on the bag, to
State Convention will receive a beautiful certificate from the Ronald
McDonald House.

Cheryl Thurston, President, Inland Empire Chapter

Board Member, National Federation of the Blind of California

C:  909.821.9589

Joy Stigile, Editor