[NFBC-SFV] Braille Institute Library needs our help

joystigile at gmail.com joystigile at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 18:44:23 UTC 2020

Dear friends,

As your NFBC Representative to the Braille Institute Library Advisory
Committee.  I felt it is important for you to be aware of the budget changes
for the coming year to our only  location for receiving books and magazines.
We have an easy way to help make a change!  Please read the message below
and share with your blind friends who live in Southern California!

Joy Stigile

For any questions please call me at C:  818.510.2353

California is Cutting State Funding for the Braille Institute Library. We
Need Your Help.

Without notice or explanation, the State of California recently cut all
funding for the Braille Institute Library, which provides free access to
braille and audiobooks for Southern California residents with blindness, low
vision, and physical disabilities. Eliminating state support for our library
is unprecedented, unfair, and needlessly punishes some of the most
vulnerable residents of Southern California. In his preliminary budget
proposal for 2020/21, Governor Newsom has proposed $500,000 to support our
program. While this is a step in the right direction, it is less than 20% of
what is required. We are the only National Library Service branch in the
United States that relies so heavily on private donations. If this decision
stands, Braille Institute library services will suffer. Southern
Californians with visual impairments will have fewer books from which to
choose, experience longer wait times, and have access to fewer opportunities
to learn about new technology.

Here's how you can protect Braille Institute Library in 2 minutes or less:
Visit bit.ly/braillepetition or text BRAILLE to 52886 to sign our digital
petition in support of funding for Braille Institute Library. We need to
show state lawmakers that community support for our libraries is stronger
than ever. It only takes a few clicks to make a difference.

Reed Strege

Director of Library Services

Braille Institute

741 North Vermont Avenue