[NFBC-SFV] Fw: Immediate Action: Request for your evaluation of a new tactile font to be used as part of accessible signage

L Nishihara lnnishihara at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 24 23:42:20 UTC 2020

 Hey everybody. Disregard this if you've already contacted Sharon Toji from Access Communications regarding a proposed new font, called ADA/InvisiTouch
I received this through California Council of the Blind.
If this is new to you please consider helping them out by evaluating the new typeface. Information on how to get a sample is below.

Stay safe!Lynne Nishihara
   ----- Forwarded Message -----Hello from Sharon Toji, the ADA Sign Lady!
  My company, Access Communications, specializes in accessible signs, including room identification signs with raised characters, readable by touch and braille.

  We have developed a new font (typeface), called ADA/InvisiTouch, and think it will be especially easy to read by touch. The characters are small, with thin, rounded profiles, clearly separated from each other.

ADA/InvisiTouch is a “tactile only” font, which complies with the 2010 ADA Standards.  This “invisible” text, plus braille, would always be accompanied by a companion visual sign.  The visual sign would have much larger and bolder text, with high contrast and as little reflection as possible.

  We hope the use of the combined signs will become a common practice, so people who are blind or have low vision will find accessible signage more usable.

  We have worked to make letters and numbers like “I,” “L,” “1,” and “7” easier to distinguish from one another.  Also, we have added a diagonal slash through the zero, or “0,” so to make it distinctly different from the letter “O.”

  We would very much appreciate your evaluation of ADA/InvisiTouch and especially what you think about our solutions to these often confusing letter and number identification problems.   Also, we would like your specific input regarding our proposed solution for distinguishing between the “0” and “O”, or an alternative solution.

We would like to mail to you, for evaluation purposes, a plastic panel, 6 inches wide by 5 inches high and 1/8 inch thick, with the entire font alphabet and numerals for your input. (Note: The actual font is complete, with all punctuation marks and symbols).  Your input should include constructive suggestions as to how to improve the font and its tactile readability.

For those who reply with comments and permission for us to quote them, we will be happy to send you a “thank you” in the form of your choice of a house address sign or a name and title sign, using the font along with braille.

Just send us your house number and street, or if you prefer, a name and title you would like on a small plaque, or a welcome sign to your home, such as “Welcome to the Jones’ Home.”  The sign will feature this tactile font and braille.

The evaluation panel is yours to keep and to share with others who would be interested in providing input to us.  Those individuals who provide their input and permission for us to quote them will also receive a thank you in the form of one of the above signs of their choice.

Please email me at ADASignLady at gmail.com if you would like to evaluate the ADA/InvisiTouch for its readability and usability.  Also, share this email with other interested parties.

Sincerely,

Sharon Toji,

Access Communications