[NFBC-SFV] LA County accessible voting options

Julian mrc1818 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 23:15:02 UTC 2020

Hello All,

I have found several options that appear to make it possible for a Blind
person to vote independently or with minimal assistance in the upcoming
election. I have personally chosen to try option 1 and if unsuccessful,
as a back up, option 2 and see which one ultimately works best for me.
Please note that you must be registered to vote in LA County in order to
use these options. Good luck and make your vote count!

1. Remote Accessible Vote by Mail Ballot (RAVBM)

This option allows you to fill out a Vote by Mail ballot (which replaces
the one you received in the mail) on your computer or mobile device. You
then review your choices, print it out, put it into the official
envelope provided to you with the mail in ballot that you were sent,
sign and seal the envelope, then either put in the mail or drop off at
either an official ballot drop box or polling station. Your mail in
ballot must be post marked or dropped off by no later than November 3
2020 in order to be counted.

RAVBM  Website:

https://ravbm.lavote.net/

2. Sample Ballot / Poll Pass

This option allows you to fill out and print an electronic Sample Ballot
/ Poll pass that you bring with you to a polling station. This process
is similar and just as accessible as in option 1. The only difference is
that with this option, you must go to a polling station, find and use
the voting machine which may require asking for assistance from a poll
worker. Once there you, check in and receive your official paper ballot,
follow instruction on marking device to insert your ballot, when
prompted select "Poll Pass" , scan the Poll Pass you printed at home to
transfer your selection, check your selection to make any final changes,
follow instruction to print your ballot then cast it.

LA County Plan to Vote website:

https://plan.lavote.net/

3. The old fashioned way:

If you prefer to vote in person at a polling station, there are some
important things to know. The bad news is that the local polling station
you may have used for years may no longer be in use. LA County has
consolidated polling stations and spaced them out further apart so in
some cases you may have to travel farther than what you were accustomed
to doing previously. The good news is that you can go to any polling
station in the county even if it's not the one in your area but might be
closer to a place, such as work, that you may frequent. Also, most
voting machines are iPad based and now, or supposed to be, accessible to
people with disabilities including blind and low vision. The biggest
problem I had voting in the Primaries was the overly helpful poll worker
who insisted on setting up the machine for me. This may seem harmless
but because they started the process using the touch screen interface,
the accessible part wouldn't function correctly when I attempted to use
the tactile interface. After a pretty heated debate, I was finally
successful in convincing the well intensioned poll worker to let me set
it up myself using the tactile interface. Additionally, I enabled the
screen curtain quickly which also discouraged further interference. Your
mileage may vary but keep this experience in mind should you encounter a
similar situation.

Again, good luck and what ever you do, remember to vote and let your
voice be heard. If any of you have questions or need further
clarification, feel free to call me: 818-794-9554

Julian