[NFBC-SFV] Chapter

Julian mrc1818 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 01:49:22 UTC 2020

Hello All,

Let me first apologize for any confusion or offense that my changing of
a few words during the recitation of the 1 minute message may have
caused. Please know that I meant no harm, regardless, I recognize that I
went about things the wrong way. Per Robert's suggestion, I have written
to our National President with my suggestion which I hope will lead to a
constructive and positive change. If any fellow members feel similarly,
perhaps you should consider taking a moment to do the same. See below
what I wrote to the office of our national president:

Dear Mr. President,

My name is Julian Vargas, a long time member of the NFBCA San Fernando
Valley Chapter. I am writing to offer what I hope will be taken as a
constructive
suggestion for improving the recitation of the 1 minute message at
chapter meetings. While I heartily support the intent of this important
message, having
chapter members recite it as it is currently written, feels like we are
reciting a statement prepared for, or meant to be read to us as opposed
to a message
spoken from our very own heart, similar to our pledging allegiance to
our flag and pledging to participate actively in the efforts of our
great federation.
I therefore suggest that we, in conjunction with our pledges, be allowed
to recite the 1 minute message as follows:

characteristic that defines me or my future.
Everyday we raise the expectations of blind people
because low expectations create obstacles between us and our dreams.
I can live the life I want
blindness is not what holds me back!

If you feel that this rewording of the message in any way diminishes its
meaning, please feel free to change or discard it but, please at least
consider
the spirit, if not the letter of what I am attempting to accomplish.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and consider my
suggestion. Take care.

Sincerely,

Julian Vargas

On 9/12/2020 1:12 PM, Robert Stigile via NFBC-SFV wrote:
> Hello All,
> I am writing, to inform you all, of the following:
> Our Chapter is affiliated with the NFB of California, which is then in turn affiliated with the National Organization.
> I say this, to say, that when we recite the Pledges we are reciting a pledge that has been written from our National Organization.
> Having said this, if a member is not happy or thinks the wording of a pledge should be changed, then I encourage you to write to our National leader President Mark Riccobono at officeofthepresident at nfb.org and let him know of your thoughts.
> I also understand that we all have differing opinions, but unless the pledge is changed on the National level, it is very much appreciated, if we learn it as it is currently written.
> If anyone has any comments questions, or concerns, please feel free to reach out to me directly at my contact information below my signature.
> I appreciate everyone in our chapter and want to here your views.
> I hope everyone has a great weekend!
>
> Sincerely,
>

> Robert Stigile, Second Vice-president
> national Federation of the Blind of California
> President San Fernando Valley Chapter
> C: 818-381-9568
> email: rstigile at gmail.com
> The National Federation of the Blind is a Community of Members and Friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the Nations Blind.
> Every day we work together to help Blind people live the lives we want.

Julian