[nfbcs] MSS and Samsung Intrepid

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Dec 6 01:52:38 UTC 2009

Susie,

Is the LG Focus a new phone and is it offered through Sprint?  If you are not overly concerned about web browsing and
doing e-mail, one of the LG phones might be what you want.  The Rumor 2 by LG is a sprint phone, and most menu
items talk and you can add to your contacts with it.  The Windows Mobil smart phones will talk more than do any of the
phones I know of that have speech built in such as the LG phones.  However, to make them talk, you have to buy a
screen reader for them which is what Mobile Speak is.  Mobile Speak is around $250 or $300 dollars, and those phones
are more expensive.  Also, the buttons for dialing are usually smaller, although I am trying one of these phones.  My wife
has the LG Rumor 2 and I had the LG Fusik for a couple of years.  The Rumor 2 is supposed to be able to read text
messages but I've never figured out how.  The Fusik did not, but many menu items and features did speak.  It was pretty
reliable.

If you go to a store to look at one of the LG phones, the feature that makes their menus talk is usually called "Voice
guide."  Often the salesreps don't know what you are talking about, but if you ask about Voice Guide they usually will
find it in the manual and be able to turn it on.  These phones also usually have Voice Command as well which lets you
make the phone perform functions by talking.  The sales people will almost certainly think this is what you need, and
while it can be handy because it lets you skip menus altogether, it is Voice Guide on LG phones that causes menus to
be spoken.

I would be interested in hearing more about the Focus.  Please be aware, though, that not all models of a particular
brand are offered on all phone carriers.  For example, LG and Samsung offer slightly different phones on Verizon than
they do under Sprint, even though Sprint and Verizon use similar cellphone technologies.  The technology that AT&T
and T-Mobile use are different, though, which is why we can't use the KNFB reader phones under sprint.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:39:38 -0600, Stanzel, Susan - Kansas City, MO wrote:

>I am a Sprint customer and am considering updating my phone since mine is almost three years old. Does this MSS
phone talk? I just heard about the LG Focus and that it talks very well.