[nfbcs] NVDA

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Sun Dec 13 20:54:24 UTC 2009

For various reasons, I decided to try NVDA on my new netbook, and now I've
made it the default screen reader.  It's nice to have a screen reader that
doesn't cost twice as much as the machine it's running on.  Usually, I'm a
big believer that you get what you pay for, but, so far, I'm getting a lot
more than I paid for (since NVDA is free).  There are some things I have
trouble with, like spell checking in Word 2003.  But they might be
resolved if I'd sit down a few minutes and read the User's Guide again. Or
maybe it's just not perfect, but it is darn good.
If all I had to do was regular computer tasks, surfing the Net, and simple
wordprocessing, it would suit very well.  As is, I still have to go back
to a demo copy of JFW, but not   too much.
Anyway, I recommend giving NVDA a try, if you're getting tired of FS's
pricing structure, and finding that the latest "upgrade" is not really an
upgrade at all.

A happy user
Tracy
er tasks, plus surfing the Net, reading email, and doing simple
wordprocessing, it would suit very well.  As is, I occasionally have to
switch to a demo copy of Jaws, but really NVDA on my