[nfbcs] UltraEdit

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Jan 14 16:50:22 UTC 2009

Joe,

I think that keeping this on the list here is of value because others may have thoughts.  There was one response on PROGRAM-L who uses UltraEdit 11 with JFW 9
and 10 and says he has not had the problems you are having.  I tend to doubt that there have been changes from V11 to V14 that should add problems, but do I
recall that you were using an earlier version of JFW?  It could be that cursor tracking has improved.  I don't see any advantage is looking for the version Lloyd is
running because there were some problems with menus as I recall, and Lloyd mentioned the option to select the classic menus.  This problem was fixed to my
knowledge in version 11 and menus have remained solid for me ever since.  I have not noticed any problems or adjustments related to cursor tracking since with
Window-Eyes.  If you decide on one of these editors and continue to have problems, there are some "caret" options within JFW that might be adjusted to give you
better results.  However, I don't think you want to be starting with that for multiple editors.  I do not know if you plan on taking advantage of syntax highlighting which
automatically shows different elements of a programming language in different colors or not.  I have not used that functionality and turned it off figuring that changing
colors might provide greater opportunity for a screen reader to lock on a certain color.  This may not have been a problem at all, I don't know.  I also think that there
might be an option in UltraEdit that highlights the entire current line to make it stand out visually.  I turned it off for the same reason, as I recall, but I did so to avoid
potential problems and not because it actually caused any.  I'll look to see if I can find that option.  Since I've been using this program for a few years, at least since
version 9 and possibly before, it is hard to remember the cumulative changes I may have made.

I do not remember the details, but it seems to me that EdSharp is written in a high-level language that could affect its speed.  Like you, I like quick response and
such so it probably makes sense for you to continue pursuing this.  For the short term, as mentioned before, I would concentrate on the editor's functionality and
basic navigation, avoiding functionality supplied by JFW scripts, as I suspect is the Next Paragraph key.  These kinds of things can most likely be worked out after
you have settled on an editor.  If you can help me understand problems you still have with UltraEdit, I can try to make additional suggestions.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson