[nfbcs] Collaboration Revisited

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 16:40:22 UTC 2009

Hello,

A few weeks ago I posted a question about collaboration tools.  Essentially
I was looking for a system where I could work with a team on the same files.
I found two solutions, which I hope will help someone:

1. Collanos Workplace

This system allows for collaboration on top of chatting, task assignments
and other features.  To my knowledge there is no size limitation on the
files shared.  After the installation the program is comfortably accessible
with JAWS 10.  Each work space is shared with the people with whom you
choose to share the files contained within.  My only dislike of the program
is that the files need to reside in the program to be of use.

Collanos Link:

www.collanos.com/

2. Dropbox:

This is another one in the so-called cloud file storage services.  You get 2
gigs of free space, $9.99 for fifty gigs per month.  I am using this service
because the program creates a folder in your hard drive, which you can later
position where ever is most convenient for you.  At the moment only the
material in this folder can be synchronized, but there are plans to remedy
this slight inconvenience in the near future.   I've chosen it because it
allows for easy sharing of files between yourself and other users and
non-users of the system.  If a file is worked on simultaneously the system
will create a copy of the second version to hit the network so that the
users can resolve the conflict in updates.

Dropbox Link:

www.getdropbox.com/

Now, in the way of a bonus, I am also using CyncToy from Microsoft, a free
tool that allows you to synchronize pairs of folders either manually or on a
schedule.  It's extremely easy to use.  You can download the latest version
here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c26efa36-98e0-4ee9-
a7c5-98d0592d8c52&DisplayLang=en

Anyway, I think Steve Jacobson made a good suggestion for us to produce
follow-ups to our inquiries, and I hope this will be of benefit to some of
you.

Regards,

Joe Orozco

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado

database 4232 (20090710) __________

http://www.eset.com