[nfbcs] Cell phone question

Wunder, Gary WunderG at health.missouri.edu
Thu Jun 18 13:15:43 UTC 2009

Hello Jim. There are currently two telephones used for the KNFB Reader.
One is the Nokia N82 and I believe the other is the Nokia 6220 classic.
This latter phone is somewhat less expensive. Neither phone uses the
Verizon network but must use a network which relies on the GSM protocol.
In the United States I think you are talking about AT&T and T-Mobile.

There has been a recent drop in the price of the KNFB Reader mobile with
either Talks or Mobile Speak so you may want to ask the dealer before
deciding this is beyond your ability to afford. I believe you are
already aware of the NFB loan program which offers technology loans at
3% interest. There is no question that you will end up spending more
money on the KNFB Reader than you will on a phone which comes with a one
or two-year contract, but you will certainly be carrying more in your
pocket not only when it comes to your ability to read functions of the
phone which sighted people take for granted, but also when you want to
read a print menu, a meeting agenda that didn't get handed out on time,
or a hotel bill slipped under your door.

If you want more information about the Reader, feel free to give a call
at 573-874-1774.

Warmest regards my friend,

Gary