[nfbcs] Windows Genuine Advantage Notification question

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sat May 16 00:03:03 UTC 2009

Windows Genuine Advantage Notification is a little piece of software
that examines your copy of  Windows, then harasses you if it's not a
genuine (legally licensed) copy. If you don't verify your copy as
genuine, then Windows Update won't let you install other updates.
Actually, I think it might let you install major security updates anyway
but I'm not certain. In any case, you have to install it to be able to
install all other updates from Windows Update. Read on though before you
do it.

WGA has this nasty little habbit of phoning home (contacting microsoft)
every so often to report about your copy of Windows. If you install WGA
in order to get other updates, I recommend you then castrate it so it
can't do this. There are tools out there that can disable the reporting
functions so it won't spy on you. I have an older version of one of
them, and I imagine I can help you find a newer one if need be.
--
PGP SIGNED AND ENCRYPTED MAIL PREFERRED
Key ID: DA522C2A