[nfbcs] Anyone had success with SimNet based courses

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Sep 4 14:15:42 UTC 2009

Hopefully this doesn't sound too much like me being up on my soapbox, but Tracy's comments touch on something that
I've found very important over the past twenty years as I have had to deal with courses as part of my job.  While I
believe it is very important to push for accessibility of on-line classes, I also believe that the way we access something
like Excel adds an extra layer to the learning curve.  If one truly wants to learn it for themselves, it may not be as much
an extra layer as simply a different interface, but it won't be an interface that most on-line classes can address.
However, if one is going to learn something like Excel using a course that is required for a class and is used by others in
the class, it can make a lot of sense not to get bogged down in trying to figure out what is accessible and take the
course with a reader.  This allows one to concentrate on learning the specific software and work out how to access that
software separate from the on-line class.  This is difficult when one is taking the class from home, I understand that, but I
don't know a good solution.  Some on-line courses that I've tried actually interface with the software being taught taking
control of the mouse and keyboard and such, and I have found that such courses often conflict with screen readers or
are at best confusing.  Other approaches include screen shots which are not visible with screen readers, but even if
they were accessible would be of little value without knowing what is highlighted and such.  I have found that it is far
easier for me to figure out the best approach to how to access software if I understand the software first.

Having said all this, I don't know that it is worth struggling with an on-line course for Excel given the fact that there are
specialized tutorials out there.  If a course is required to get a credit and it is more trouble than it is worth to try to find an
alternative, then just getting it completed with a reader might be the best approach.

People with more experience than I have with on-line courses for software may have some techniques that will help, and
I have taken on-line courses through work that teach concepts rather than software that have worked well.  Clearly
there is going to sometimes be overlap that will allow the innovative student to take an on-line course that some of us
might not manage, so we need to be open to other opinions and techniques.  However, in the end, we take a class to
learn the course content and I think it is important to realize that accessibility can sometimes fit in but sometimes add an
extra layer that can actually get in the way.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson