[nfbcs] access hard drive

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Fri Apr 2 15:00:22 UTC 2010

The point is that they boot off the live linux CD.  This gives them an
environment to work in that isn't making use of their windows boot disk

If they aren't a linux user, this does have a rather high learning curve.

However, I'm not really sure that this solution meets the needs of
Bryan's friend.  If I understand correctly, this friend has a
corrupted mbr and possibly a corrupted filesystem they want to repair,
so they can copy files from the disk.

Linux can rewrite the MBR, but probably not repair the vfat table.
My experience is that LInux's tools for repairing vfat filesystems are
not as reliable as the ones MS provides.

Bryan, can you explain further what the exact problem is?

Jim