[nfbcs] access hard drive

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Apr 5 14:28:36 UTC 2010

Here is a link to an accessible, free tool to burn iso images in Windows:
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

I've been using IsoRecorder for years but I am a Windows XP user. I don't
know about the Windows Vista or Windows 7 versions.

Also, there are many more tools than fsck-fat and parted for restoring file
systems in linux. Here is a link to an article about how to use PhotoRec to
restore files using linux:
http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/storage/8257-how-to-recover-lost-files-after-you-accidentally-wipe-your-hard-drive

I once re-installed linux on a computer so the HD was repartitioned and
reformatted. Still I was able to get some files back. I used dd to make an
image of the disk and then I worked from that. These tools allow you to get
files back from a disk even if you've repartitioned and reformatted as long
as the files you want haven't been over written with new files. It takes
some luck and it takes a very long time.