[nfbcs] help with spam coming from my e-mail address

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Apr 11 16:40:16 UTC 2010

Cheryl,

Make sure your virus program is up to date and run a complete scan on your computer.  Depending upon what you are
using, you may need something to scan for "malware" as well, which is a little different than a virus.  Also, try to figure
out if it is truly your contacts that are getting these messages or if it is people on lists to which you are subscribe.  That
can make a big difference.  Since you are on a few lists and you probably have many contacts that are on the same
lists, it might be hard to tell, but someone could be using your address but getting names from lists without necessarily
having gotten into your contacts or your computer.  Also see if messages are coming from you when you know your
computer is off.  That would also tell you that it isn't truly your computer sending these messages.

Sometimes viruses can actually be on someone else's machine and happen to use your address from their contact list as
the sender.  In that case, there is nothing you can do but at least you know your system is clean.  However, don't
assume that, check out your computer.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson