[nfbcs] Independence with a Price Tag

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 3 14:23:19 UTC 2010

You know, I am of the opinion that if possible, and especially if a blind
person has a job, that that person should try to purchase adaptive equipment
him/herself rather than ask someone else to do it -- that is unless it is
something like a $10000 braille display, but even then, that is less than a
sighted person would spend on a car, and therefore assuming you are working,
it shouldn't be impossible to buy.  And if you do buy it, you are free to
move to another state and take it with you.  If the state buys it, it is
actually their property.
I agree wholeheartedly that the price tag for adaptive equipment is
ridiculous.  But consider the expenses that most people have who are
sighted -- they might have some other less apparent disability, or they may
be supporting a large family plus some relatives, or they may just be normal
persons who drive inexpensive cars because the luxury ones are too pricy.
A braille display doesn't require gas and costs less than even a used car.
Anyway, my latest "car" was the Book Sense.  It is pretty expensive for a
glorified mp3 player, but it does what I need and is accessible.  In a
perfect world everything would be accessible, but who ever heard of a
perfect world?
I'm going to get a lot of use out of this little gizmo.
Anyway, I hope I don't ruffle too many feathers.  Even when I was a "poor
student" I still bought my own cctv's.  This was before the ADA -- I didn't
want a prospective employer to think they'd have to pay $3000 upfront for me
to work for them. So I came with all the equipment I needed.  If the
government and the employers are friendlier now and willing to buy
equipment, that is great, but there is something to be said for
independence, when you can get it.
I do think the knfb reader was priced a little high to start with.  I bought
it after it was out a year, and it was still over $2000 (if I remember
correctly).  Since then it has come down to a cell phone app that runs on
many phones and the software is sold separate from the phone.  I think the
price should come down.  For one thing, there is competition in the market
now.    And the knfb reader (I discovered one day) surprisingly doesn't
distinguish case -- so if you snap a picture of a password, it can't tell
you if the letters are capitalized.  I have been lobbying for this but have
met with strong resistance from the developers.  But that's just my personal
pet peeve.
But if you want to join my bandwagon we can all lobby for a less expensive
product that distinguishes upper and lowercase letters.

Happy lobbying.
--le