[nfbcs] Adaptive Technology and Your Pocketbook

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Feb 4 22:54:35 UTC 2010

I can't figure out what you think a campaign can do that competition isn't
already doing.

Don't you think that Freedom Scientific knows its losing customers to Apple
and voiceover? Not to mention nvda, orca, and system access? Don't you think
FS, GW Micro, and Humanware are already doing as much as they can to keep
their prices low in order to sell more products than their competitors? I
really think that if you went to FS and said that you'd really like them to
lower the price of the Pac Mate, they'd say that they only wish they could
so that they could out sell GWM and Humanware.

I mean, if you don't like Freedom Scientific's pricing structure, buy
Window-eyes instead. Or buy a Mac and use voiceOver. That's what I did. In
fact, I told FS that. I actually called the sales number at FS, asked how
much it would cost to upgrade jaws and when they said like a million dollars
(whatever) I told them that I was going to buy a Macintosh. And I did.  I'm
still using an old version of jaws at work but I will probably never buy
another jaws license.

Anyway, I just don't see what a campaign can do that voting with your
dollars can't do much better.

Besides, I think its unethical to accuse a company of gouging its customers
without evidence. ----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Orozco" <jsorozco at gmail.com>
List'" <nfb-web at nfbnet.org>; "'Discussion list for NABS,National Alliance of
Blind Students.'" <nabs at acb.org>; "'The PAC Mate User List'"