[nfbcs] Idea for a new Braille Display

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Fri Nov 12 00:16:37 UTC 2010

Thanks for all who replied.

It sounds like you all have been around Braille for quite some time.  I, on
the other hand, have only been using the skill for about the last 5 years .
so I guess you'd call me a novice.  I only started using it when my
cataracts overran my vision significantly and I was having extreme
difficulty seeing a lot of things.  When that happened, I started using
learning and using Braille because I HAD to do something.  I must say that
Braille was a real surprise because it allowed me to go beyond what my
vision prevented me from doing.  And even though I've been legally blind all
my life (I can see but am very nearsighted) and grew up around blind kids, I
had never ever considered Braille simply because I could read print . even
though doing so was a painfully slow process.

You know the argument of normally sighted people . if you can read, teach
them print.  Braille is only for the totally blind.  Personally I think
that's funny that they are so narrow minded that they can't understand that
Braille can serve people that can see, but because of their vision can't
read it efficiently.  I guess they're just to attuned to their vision and
they can't see the forest for the trees.

So, after I NEEDED to learn Braille, and began my Braille education at age
48 . and saw how it could liberate me from the painfully slow method of
reading print, I haven't looked back.  It's nice to be able to read in the
dark.  It's nice to not have to hold the book 2 inches in front of my face
and people ask .. "what are you doing?".  Now they just watch me read
Braille, and when they realize I can see, they ask . "why on earth are you
reading Braille?  You can see!!!!".  I've had my cataracts corrected, and
now I can read print again, but I always think about how slow I am reading
print . slower than normal people.  As I see it, Braille is the ONLY way
that I'm going to be able to overcome my speed problem.  It's a method that
eliminates the very thing that limits me . my eyes.

So it's with this attitude and excitement about Braille that partly gave me
this idea.  I'm pretty excited about it.  If Braille could liberate me from
my slow reading, that is a great thing.  And when I came up with this idea,
I thought . WOW . maybe this could liberate people in the classroom who
can't see the board.  Maybe this would allow them to see the board without
having to actually see it.  How marvelous this would be to be able to keep
up with the instructor and not felt left behind.  And it's all by means of
Braille, a proven technology in my mind.

Of course as you point out, I'm a newcomer to Braille.  I haven't been
around for 15 or 20 years, and I haven't heard all the hype.  Perhaps there
isn't a replacement to the current cell technology.  If not, well I guess
this idea will just have to stay an idea.  Too bad.  I think it had some
real possibilities.

Mike Jolls