[nfbcs] FW: Idea for new Braille Display

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 17 19:11:35 UTC 2010

I agree with this -- that  it is easier to get material in advance and
listen and take notes than to worry about monitoring changing info on laptop
while trying to take notes.
The value of this technology would depend not so much on the technology as
to the type of course you are taking.  I can think of some courses where
this would work and others where it would be a distraction.
One thing I was known for at school was that I would leave a recorder in
class, leave, and then pick it up at the end of class and listen to the
recording when I had copies of notes taken by a friend.  One day the prof
came in and people were commenting on my recorder saying they all ought to
get recorders and set on their desks so the prof would be speaking to a room
full of recorders.  The prof replied that since he really didn't have to be
there to deliver his lectures, he could start a video of the lecture and
leave, so the room would be full of machines. *smile*

Anyway, my point is that being prepared before class can take care of most
the problem. This may require getting something from the instructor, but I
still think that will always be better than coming to the lecture cold and
try to read a braille display -- of course all depending on the braille
display and the lecture and the instructor.
--le