[nfbcs] Looking into taking Microsoft Access

Beth Hatch bhatch200 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 20 00:03:47 UTC 2010

On 11/18/2010 7:56 AM, John G. Heim wrote:
> [...]
> Subject: Re: [nfbcs] Looking into taking Microsoft Access
>

>> Hello again Steve, it's great to correspond with you again! I would
>> love to
>> talk with Microsoft about this, but I haven't found a contact person who
>> deals with Accessibility issues. There is no support or email that I
>> could
>> find on the www.microsoft.com/enable site. I tried looking on the
>> Microsoft
>> Developer site or the MSDN where they have several blogs and articles
>> about
>> Accessibility. I emailed someone who did one of the blogs, but my
>> email got
>> bounced.
>> That is one of the reasons why I'm glad that Robert posted about Access
>> originally because I was going to post to this list because I haven't
>> been
>> able to find any Accessibility information or tech support though I know
>> that the NFBCS has dealt with Microsoft in the past with our convention
>> presentations and other matters. I called the Answer Line at the NFB
>> Technology Center, but the person I spoke to didn't have any Microsoft
>> contact person for Accessibility, nor did Freedom Scientific when I
>> asked,
>> and nor has any of the other blind computer people or organizations
>> that I
>> have called. I contacted the folks who provided my equipment for
>> work, the
>> Computer and Electronics Accommodation Program, the program that
>> provides
>> Access Technology to many government agencies, and though the person
>> I spoke
>> with agreed with me on the accessibility issues, he didn't have any
>> contact
>> information either. Luckily, my boss and colleagues have been
>> wonderful, but
>> I'm concerned that I need to find another accessible means of
>> producing this
>> database if not with Access. I am trying to teach myself Visual Basic
>> for
>> Access so that I could manually program the parts of Access that
>> don't work.
>> Unfortunately, JAWS doesn't seem to work very well inside the Visual
>> Basic
>> Environment for Access. I am going to installing Microsoft Office
>> 2010 this
>> weekend to see if that will work better. I've downloaded demonstration
>> versions of Oracle 11G and its web component that is supposed to convert
>> Access databases into web based forms, as well as Microsoft SQAL
>> Server. If
>> anyone has any other suggestions as to how to make Access behave for
>> queries, forms, and reports, or if there are other more useable
>> databases
>> out there, I would be interested in hearing about them.
>> Thank you, again Steve,  for your message.

>>> worse. I now have an open ticket with Freedom Scientific for some
> [...]
>>> to use
>>> Access 2007 with speech!! I think the screen reader vendors have
>>> made their
>>> products work with the most common denominator, they make sure you can
>> enter
>>> data into a form or table using Access, but not design forms,
>>> reports, or
>>> complicated queries as a blind person. My cynical side wants to
>>> think that
>>> perhaps these folks think blind people don't make databases, they
>>> only use
>>> them. I should say that my only experience with Access 2007 is with
>>> JAWS 11
>>> and 12, I haven't tried Window-eyes or any other screen readers with
>> Access.
>>> However, I've made a lot of phone calls and sent several email
>>> message to
>>> blind folks, and no one can seem to assist me with getting access to
>>> work
>>> with JAWS, or any other screen reader for that matter.
>>> So Robert, to answer your question, I might look into other database
>>> products such as File Maker that Joe had mentioned, Oracle, or
>>> Microsoft
>>> SQLL Server, or MY SQL which is an open source database product.  I'm
>>> looking into all of these to see if any of them will help me on the job
>>> since if I can make something work, I'm going to have to advocate to be
>> able
>>> to use it on the job instead of Access. I'm glad we are talking
>>> about this
>>> issue, since it personally effects my job, and I haven't been able
>>> to get
>>> any information from anyone with the exception of one technology vendor
>> here
>>> in New Mexico who spent a lot of time here helping me to try to make it
>>> work, and he also agreed with me concerning the lack of information
>>> on how
>>> to make it work better in terms of Accessibility. If you check the
>> Microsoft
>>> Accessibility web site, all you'll find there are the keyboard
>>> shortcuts
>> and
>>> nothing more about how to make Access work for blind folks, but
>>> there is
>>> information for the rest of the MS Office 2007 product line since
>>> there are
>>> step by step accessibility tutorials on Word, Excel and PowerPoint,
>>> but
>> not
>>> for Access--so apparently some people, those with Microsoft as well as
>>> access technology folks,  may feel blind folks don't need to worry
>>> about
>>> designing databases in Access.
>>> Sorry for the rant, I had meant to post something about this issue
>>> earlier,
>>> and Robert and Joe's message about it helped that process along.<smile>

Hello John, thank you for your message. The Air Force does have web
servers, but not in the department where I am. The current database is
using Microsoft access and the Air Force is pretty Microsoft centric. If
I really found somehting that could do what is needed, I think I could
use something web based and I think my boss would support it. However, I
would be the one to have to do the research, and I would need to do that
on my home computer because I only have my desktop to use while I'm at
work. You've given me something to think about to consider and I
appreciate that very much.

Thanks!!

Best Regards,

Beth