[nfbcs] Network info inconsistency

Joseph C. Lininger jbahm at pcdesk.net
Sat Nov 20 16:10:00 UTC 2010

Good morning,
Sounds like the problem was that your netbook established a connection
to your access point, but wasn't able to complete the process and
establish an actual network connection. Here are the three most common
reasons why this happens.

1. Mismatched security settings between your netbook and the access
point. Usually it's a wep or WPA key problem.

2. Your wireless card is set to use static ip addresses, and the address
it's set to is invalid for your particular network or already in use.
Usually your access point will be configured with a dhcp server enabled,
so setting your card to obtain an address automatically is what you want
to do.

3. The connection is flakey because of interfearance or something like
that. Connection establishes at the physical level, but can't carry data
reliably enough to allow for the network layer to come up. This one
won't happen often, but it does sometimes. If there's a microwave
between your netbook and the access point that'll do it.

Of these, problem number 1 is almost always the culprit. Try checking
the ip configuration for the wireless card on your netbook and see what
it says. If you don't know how to do that, let me know and I'll provide
instructions.
--
They say god has always been. Linux and I will now disprove that:
$ ar m God