[nfbcs] Links on a Website

Fred Wurtzel f.wurtzel at att.net
Tue Oct 26 00:10:06 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have some pretty strong feelings on this.  Apparently I am in a minority,
since no developer that I have talked to has taken my suggestions.  I am
polite and friendly when I offer my suggestions, so it isn't my delivery, I
hope.

I would like headings so I can simply pres the letter "h" and move to
essential content.  Second, on all subsequent pages to the front or home
page, omit all the clutter at the beginning altogether and simply present
the essential information.  If it is felt that the links are needed on
subsequent pages, put them at the end so the user does not have to
continually read them jump over them or simply leave the page because of all
the unnecessary clutter.

I hope this makes some sense.  I have been using computers and the internet
for 25 years and have come by my feelings through experience.  I feel the
clutter on many pages is a deterrent to attracting and keeping visitors, at
least blind visitors.

Some of my most disliked, but useful websites are CNN, Yahoo, Ebay,
Facebook, most shopping sites and others not coming to mind.

The gold standard, to me, is the Google search page.  Now, that is clean and
simple and they are certainly making money, so it is not necessary to
clutter up the page to make money.

Thanks for giving me the chance to get on my soapbox.  By the way, there are
several other screen readers besides JAWS which ought to be considered in
your research.

Best Regards,

Fred