[nfbcs] HTML Fragment to Trigger Download Dialogue Box

E.J. Zufelt lists at zufelt.ca
Tue Oct 26 04:02:49 UTC 2010

Good evening Mike,

Whether or not a download box is displayed, as opposed to opening the content specific application, is generally determined by the mime type (Content-type) of the media being served by the web server.  If a web server is configured to serve a specific piece of content as a specific content type, then the web browser will make a determination about what to do with that content based on the content type.

For example, Content-type: text/plain or Content-type: text/html will be loaded in the browser by default (in most browsers.  Other content types will be used by different browsers in different ways depending on how the browser is configured.

HTH,
Everett Zufelt
http://zufelt.ca

Follow me on Twitter