[nfbcs] A useful trick

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jan 14 18:00:51 UTC 2011

Jim,

In my experience it doesn't generally cause a problem to run two screen readers, especially if you are running as one of them Narrator or NVDA which are
less invasive.  In fact, I have run narrator before to see what was going on when I lost speach with Window-Eyes to see the error that was generated.  I
have even accidentally run both Window-Eyes and Narrator together and they both worked fine, except of course that I had two different voices telling me
the same thing in slightly different ways.  Of course if one looses speech because of a sound card issue, this won't work.  This was less possible before the
display chaining implementation that most screen readers use now with their display drivers under Windows XP.  I don't think that NVDA or Narrator use
display or mirror drivers at all, though, which makes them good candidates to get one out of a jam.  Obviously, if one can shut down and restart their screen
reader, that's going to be the best solution.  In my mind, though, bringing up a second screen reader and thereby doing a normal shutdown is a far better
approach than forcing a shutdown.  There probably could be problems running two screen readers before Windows XP, I'm not sure of that, and there might
also be a problem if both screen readers used the same synthesizer, so there are probably cases when one could run into problems.  Still, it is a strategy that
works sometimes.