[nfbcs] JAWS and Office 2007.

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Jul 15 14:30:50 UTC 2011

I probably shouldn't reply because I am a Window-Eyes user, but my understanding is that JFW has a feature that lets the ribbon look like the classic menus
in later versions.  Window-Eyes does not have this feature, though, which has caused me to deal with the ribbon directly.  My gut feeling is that the ribbon
can be mastered even though it is a bit of a change, and I don't know that I would want to trust my screen reader to correctly remap every single item on a
ribbon as JFW tries to do.  In addition, the ribbon pops up in more places as time goes by, so one might as well get used to it.

What I would do is to take the approach that is given below, except that I would concentrate on getting the keystrokes for those things that one uses most
often.  Navigating the ribbon is also possible but there are controls that act a little like pulldowns so I find that the ribbon takes longer to explore.  While
Microsoft did include keystrokes to access parts of the ribbon directly, they are not very easy to remember, and I feel there should have been more cases
where keystrokes get you directly to items without the use of multiple keystrokes.  However, in their defense, there are so many things on a ribbon that we
would never all agree on what should be given priority.  Also, many of the items that used to be on the file menu can still be found by using ALT-F.  This
does not apply to other menu items, though.  I think there are some tutorials around on using the ribbon and they might be helpful, too.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson