[nfbcs] leaving computer turned on

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Sat May 14 15:51:53 UTC 2011

Leaving your PC on doesn't hurt anything that I'm aware of.  I, like some of
the others, leave mine on 24/7.  The only "gotcha" there is that after
you've been running the PC for awhile and get in and out of programs, you
may notice the programs start to behave in odd ways.  This is because memory
is being used and released, and eventually becomes fragmented to the point
that the application can't get the memory resources it needs.  Symptoms of
this situation will manifest themselves by (for example) displaying a menu,
but the menu acts "funny" ... not displaying correctly.  Put simply, the
program just doesn't act like it should.  When you see those things happen,
then it's time to reboot.  Memory is like a chalkboard.  You write things
down and erase, write them, erase them.  Eventually the chalk board gets
unusable and you have to erase it to get a "clean slate" and start over
fresh.  Memory is the same way.  So leave it running.  Just know eventually
a reboot will be in your future.