[nfbcs] Fwd: Object-oriented Programming Classes Questions

Jim Barbour jbar at barcore.com
Thu May 19 18:44:33 UTC 2011

So, you can find and take object oriented programming classes in a
wide range of programming languages.  It is not the case that a
language either supports OOP or doesn't.  Object oriented programming
is a programming technique, and some languages will support it better
than others.

Common languages that support OOP are java, C++, python, C#,
and common lisp.

I've seen object oriented programs written in everything from the
bourne shell to perl to GNU C (Not C++)

Now, when it comes to tools that support an object oriented framework,
I'm less help, especially on the windows side.

I can tell you that such tools would include tools to inspect objects
(both their shape and their content); tools to help sort out execution
order of constructors, destructors, garbage collection, and
other hidden actions; and tools to profile the performance of a given
object.

I would say that none of these will be necessary to take a good class
in how to design and write object oriented code.  They're mostly
useful for debugging and profiling large programs that tend to have
many many objects.

Finally, when we talk about object oriented programming, we have to
talk about already existing libraries of classes.  A class is the set
of defintions used to build an object.  One of the real wins of an
object oriented approach is that you will often build libraries of
classes that can be used over and over again.  Learning the libraries
of classes that come with a language (studio has tons of these) is
another way in which a tool can come in handy.  It can prompt you for
the names, descriptions and types of parameters for method calls,
remind you about what the method returns, etc.

I think my bottom line would be to worry less about tools right now
and worry more about finding a class.  If the class wants to use
visual studio C++, and you want to use emacs and g++, I don't think
that will be a huge blocker to you learning how to write OOP code in
C++.  If the course wants to use eclipse, and you want to use emacs
and java/javac, same basic deal.

I know I rambled a lot here, so everyone please feel free to reply
with comments and questions.

Jim