[nfbcs] Programming with a Braille display

Tami Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 8 20:35:38 UTC 2011

Aaron,

I've been dragging my feet getting back into programming because I
haven't managed to get a braille display, and trying to get started
again using speech only makes me crazy. Also, Hearing code read to me
sounds like incomprehensible gibberish. I'm starting to just suck it up
and set aside time regularly to practice listening to code and path
names for linux config files or terminal commands, but... It's coming
slowly for me.

My own queries around and about indicate that most professional
programmers find the 80-cell display to be their best option. My former
employer was prepared to purchase one for me when I was losing the
ability to read print, only we needed the VR agency to get someone out
for an onsite evaluation and more information about the technical
details, so... I hope they found someone good to do that job when I had
to give it up because I couldn't read and the agency still couldn't get
anyone out there. Sigh. The price of an 80-cell then, as now, is around
$10k.

A 40-cell is around $5k, although I guess the Focus is only $4k these
days... There are rumors that prices will start to come down soon, so
I'm waiting for that with bated breath.

You're the third person I've ever heard of who does programming with
speech only. /smile/ So I'm sure there must be others. You've bummed me
out because if other people can program with speech only, then I don't
have any excuse to put off learning to do that myself, do i? /grin/

I would say you're dead on about efficiency. I can only guess for
myself, but there do seem to be a lot of little tasks or bits of tasks
that involve squirrelling around with the screen reader that people who
use braille just read with their fingers... My assumptions on my
expectations for improved efficiency are also based on the simple fact
that even as a pretty new braille reader, I recall waht I read through
my fingers much more accurately and clearly than I do what I hear read
to me... I'm getting better due to experience but ... That's not saying
much. /smile/ Proofing is also more time consuming and also fatiguing
for me. That could be mostly just me and how I respond conceptually to
the spoken word as opposed to the read word... My fingers do a much
better job for me at replacing my eyeballs than do my ears.

I don't know if that is helpful, but I thought I would throw it out
since I'm in a similar place.

I'm looking forward to hearing what everyone else has to say. /smile/

Tami