[nfbcs] Sound Forge Not Opening Files

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Sep 21 15:40:00 UTC 2011

Good morning everyone,

    For many years I've been using Sony's Sound Forge and until now have
never had any trouble with it. I'm currently using Sound Forge Audio Studio
8 on my PC under Windows XP Home. Again it has always worked correctly until
a few days ago.

    I have another program I use strictly for recording audio from the
Internet and have it installed on two computers. I'm not sure if the
recorder is producing corrupt files on my PC or if it's a problem within
Sound Forge that is causing files recorded on this computer to not open. I
tried several file formats and got the same results. The files were opened
to about 64% and the file open operation halted at that point. It took
several reboots of my computer each time this happened to get everything
working right but the file open problem still persists.

 I also tried opening the files with several other digital-audio editors
including Gold Wave and Audacity, and got the same results.

    There's one more twist to this situation that seems to point to the
recorder being the culprit by producing corrupt files. I recorded several
events on my laptop and brought them to this machine for editing and fix-up.
I use Sound Forge for my file editing projects. These files opened in Sound
Forge without any trouble and I was able to clean them up and save them as I
usually do.
    The recording program I use is called "Record Pad" and is sold by NCH
Software. This program is very easy to use and works very well with JAWS
12.0 and earlier versions. Another thing I like about Record Pad is that it
saves your recordings as they're made. Sound Forge requires you to first
save your recording just so you don't loose it before doing your edits. I
had several incidents in which the power went out in the middle or shortly
after an event was over yet Record Pad still saved the recording I made. I
have Record Pad on several computers and use it whenever I record from those
machines as well. The files play all right after I finish recording them
giving me no reason to suspect that they're corrupt in any way. It's only
when I record something on this particular machine that digital-audio
editors will not open the finished files for further processing. Yet is I
open files made on another computer this problem does not occur. Any ideas?
Your feedback will help very much.

Peter Donahue

 "Will you come and awake our lost land from its slumber
      And her fetters we'll break, links that long are encumbered.
      And the air will resound with hosannas to greet you
      On the shore will be found gallant Irishmen to greet you."
Will You Come to the Bower
Traditional Irish Folk Song