[nfbcs] help in locating serial to USB drivers for ABT380 Alva Braille display

Lisa Hall lhall007 at cinci.rr.com
Wed Apr 4 06:42:48 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

I am Lisa Hall from Cincinnati, Ohio. I have recently purchased a used
ABT380 braille display that have 80 cell display with serial and parallel
ports. I was also given a converter box that converts from serial to USB. I
was told I would need to locate a driver that would drive the Braille
display. I am using Windows 7 64-bit machine with JAWS 12 and plan to
upgrade to JAWS 13. Can anyone in this division who is an expert in this
area give me the name of a driver that I will need to find?

For many years back in the DOS days, I used the Alva Braille display back in
the early to middle 90's and have used it in Windows NT environments and DOS
6.2 I think.  Since I obtained this Braille display at a bargain price, it
is my hope that I am not making a mistake by getting older technology and
hope it will work on newer machines. This will be used on a desktop machine
that was refurbished. I had this computer for a year.

I hope to hear from someone in this division who can be of assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Lisa Hall, Cincinnati, Ohio