[nfbcs] [Fwd: Article on COBOL - Computerworld]

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Fri Apr 27 19:30:59 UTC 2012

Big hair and mini-skirts, wow!
I work for a major hospital network.  Our main patient admission and
billing system was developed specifically for New York hospitals, though
they've tried to roll it out elsewhere.  There are 3 ways to access data
in this system: the system's own report language, COBOL, or PL1.  For
complicated tasks, COBOL is still the best.
I just got a mondo spec to add a bunch of fields to a program I wrote a
few years ago.  COBOL is still the best way to go.
I guess, years in the future, we will be buying a new system, and
switching to SQL.  I've been messing about with SQL some already.  I don't
know all the ins and outs, but, right now, COBOL looks a lot more
versatile for creating mondo files gathered from lots of sources.
Not everything can or should go through the web.
Not that it matters what I think.  I'm not buying systems, or hiring people.
Tracy