[nfbcs] [Fwd: Article on COBOL - Computerworld]

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Apr 28 15:00:01 UTC 2012

William,

You make a good point here.  While I would probably argue that COBOL is truly going away in American companies, it is not going away as quickly as are
jobs that use a knowledge of COBOL, you have that right.  From what I've seen, COBOL maintenance and development jobs are most commonly those
that are being outsourced to off-shore resources.  It isn't that one couldn't find a job using COBOL, but it is going to be hard.  Even large companies are
trying to move toward solutions that are off-the-shelf where they can rely largely on another company to keep things running smoothly or where people
they hire will already have some experience with the off-the-shelf software that they have.  Interestingly, the first COBOL program I ever wrote for my
employer back in 1976 still runs every month, but it will soon be phased out.

Less clear is the role of large mainframes.  They are also threatened in some ways, but other nitches for them still exist.  The reliability is something that is
still a plus, but even there, there is a lot of movement toward large servers.  I don't think it is real clear what corporate computing will look like in ten years.
I still occasionally have to look at COBOL programs, but I spend a lot more time using SQL now than COBOL, and the problems I have to deal with have
more to do with how tables and databases relate to one another rather than figuring out why alphabetic data got into a numeric field causing a 0C7
ABEND.  Of course, that is partly because my job  as changed some, but the people who figure out ABENDs as the one above are primarily off-shore
now.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson