[nfbcs] Looking for anyone doing computer forensics

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Fri Dec 14 18:38:08 UTC 2012

I have used Linux to get my files from my nearly dead Windows machine,
and that worked to save my data. It was a couple of years ago now, so
while I do remember poking around on the Windows drive, I can't recall
if I tried changing anything. I'd decided to make the changeover to
full-time Linux user, so planned to just wipe the Windows drive.
Actually, I gave the machine to a friend whose techie partner revamped
the whole thing for her since it worked well for her needs.

I have heard the using Linux to change Windows files can be problematic,
but in forensic computing, wouldn't you just be looking for data? As for
regular use, if you're wanting to save your data, you can use Linux to
do that and start over if you have to with your non-working Windows drive.

With the Linux screen reader, Orca, and the other braille tools on Linux
so mature now, you could go a long way to read and examine the deep down
programmatic stuff using a Linux machine. That's my WAG, anyway. /smile/

What I know about forensic computing, I learned from NCIS. It's fun to
wonder if/how I could do those Abby and McGee things adaptively, but
that does not make me an expert! /lol/

Tami