[nfbcs] Fw: Thai researchers develop affordable Braille display

Mike Jolls majolls at cox.net
Sun Dec 30 18:20:10 UTC 2012

I'd sure like to know if any of the technologies I'm reading about in the
Braille Display research area are legitimate .. and if they will make it to
market any time soon.  I've been trying to follow this for the last year or
two and the electrostatic polymer technology (plastics, if you will, that
can be stimulated by electricity to "deform" the plastic and make it produce
"bumps" for braille) has been something I've been very intrigued by.  The
research I've been reading says that a Braille display using the
electrostatic polymer technology should be possible at $5-$10 per cell.
That would certainly be a great cost savings over the $40 per cell that
these displays cost today.
But they you don't hear anything.  It's like they "throw you a bone" and you
get your hopes up and then nothing.  I'd like to know if there's really
anything to this.  Will we see any products in the next year, two, three, or
five years?  I'd like to get a portable wireless Braille display to
interface with my iPad and/or my desktop computer.  They're currently
available at $3000 or around that price-point ... but I sure don't relish
the idea of spending that kind of money if waiting a short time will enable
me to get the technology I want at a quarter of the cost.

What do you hear if anything?