[nfbcs] Should JAWS be used for web accessibility testing (was Re: Opinions?)

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Sun Feb 19 04:49:22 UTC 2012

Jim:

I respectfully, but strongly, disagree. Although I argue in another message
that there's no good way to include or exclude a particular screen-reader
from accessibility or useability tests, I also think that excluding a
particular screen-reader amounts to a value judgment even if it is not
intended as such. Consider how irked Window-eyes users get when everyone
tests their sites against JAWS. Why should JAWS users put up with the same
sort of nonsense?

In fact, I think the article's author is desperately trying to find a way to
lessen work for himself or, put another way, he is hoping he can be lazy and
not do the sort of in-depth testing that is truly required for good
accessibility testing.

I think the only way to do this right would be to specify that *every* site
should be put through a suite of tests by *human* *beings,* not automated
tools, using the following screen-readers at a minimum: JAWS, Window-eyes,
Hal, SuperNova, System Access, NVDA, Coco (sp) and VoiceOver (both on
i-devices and on the Mac). It's a matter for debate whether or not one
should specify note-takers such as the BrailleSense and BrailleNote family
also to be tested.

The only alternative I can see would be to try to get all screen-readers to
behave the same way and, my friends, that ain't a-gonna happen! (grin)

Mike Freeman