[nfbcs] Should JAWS be used for web accessibility testing(was Re: Opinions?)

David Tseng davidct1209 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:57:35 UTC 2012

That's actualy not a bad categorization (from an academic point of
view), though not precisely true. The idea of programmatic control
over a user interface has existed in Windows in a formal interface
since Windows 95. Before then, informal techniques have been available
by sending raw Window messages, or obtaining application specific
component object model interfaces.

In the context of browsers, such an interface does exist already in
IAccessible2 and has wide support by at the very least , Firefox and
Jaws/NVDA on the client side.
You can call it universal remote control or UI Automation but it
doesn't address the problem that someone at somepoint needs to take
the raw data structures (retrieved from the previously mentioned
interfaces) and render them in audio form in the case of screen
reading. That particular problem still falls ultimately to the screen
readers out there as it should since it's unreasonable to expect a
browser to become what is essentialy a screen reader

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfbcs_nfbnet.org/ntorcolini%40waveca