[nfbcs] Should JAWS be used for webaccessibility testing(was Re: Opinions?)

David Tseng davidct1209 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 19:33:25 UTC 2012

On 2/20/12, John Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Right, but the URC standard attempts to do away with the problem of web
> developers coming up with new ways to mess up screen readers by specifying a
> standard protocol for accessibility. So basically, the problem with flash is
> that adobe never paid any attention to accessibility when developing it. Its
> hard to put the hooks in afterward, right? So if the URC standard would
> catch on, theoretically, that wouldn't happen.  I'm not sure this is what
> Mike was proposing originally but I think its pretty close.

The URC standard reads more like a device to device communication
protocol ala TCP, SATA, etc. Though perfectly feasible to conceive of
a day when a device talks to another via this protocol, we're talking
about the abstractions of processes running on top of a operating
system (for web access) and not of hardware devices. Certainly, this
doesn't preclude people from adopting URC for a specific platform
technology stack, it does require the bending of traditional rules
surrounding inter process communication. I do think that you're
conflating two very separate technologies.

> I've talked to Gregg Venderheiden of the Trace Center at the University of
> Wisconsin about this. The Trace Center and Gregg himself were big parts of
> the development of the web access standards. He's also into the National
> Public Inclusive Infrastructure  and Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure
> concepts that kind of grew out of the URC idea.

If the standard specifies how a hardware device talks to a process
running on your machine or to the operating system layer, then
certainly, I have no objection to such a strategy.

I love the idea of a protocol to allow for a separate device to
consume user interface data over the wire as you pointed out in your
microwave/appliance examples. There's definitely lots of value in such
a system. However, I fail to see how this relates to web
accessibility.

- David

On 2/20/12, John Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:
> Right, but the URC standard attempts to do away with the problem of web
> developers coming up with new ways to mess up screen readers by specifying a
> standard protocol for accessibility. So basically, the problem with flash is
> that adobe never paid any attention to accessibility when developing it. Its
> hard to put the hooks in afterward, right? So if the URC standard would
> catch on, theoretically, that wouldn't happen.  I'm not sure this is what
> Mike was proposing originally but I think its pretty close.
>
> I've talked to Gregg Venderheiden of the Trace Center at the University of
> Wisconsin about this. The Trace Center and Gregg himself were big parts of
> the development of the web access standards. He's also into the National
> Public Inclusive Infrastructure  and Global Public Inclusive Infrastructure
> concepts that kind of grew out of the URC idea.
>
> You may think all this is nothing but a pipe dream but I don't think its
> that unrealistic.  The reason is that manufacturers are going to be looking
> for standard ways to make their products accessible and URC spreads the
> burden around. A microwave manufacturer wouldn't have to build a talking
> microwave oven. They just have to make an interface that you could connect
> your laptop to. You buy a printer these days and they all come with a web
> setup interface, right? Why not a microwave oven?  Amd why not kill two
> birds with one stone and have your web interface follow the URC standards?
>
> I don't thinnk its at all unrealistic to think that in 5 years, Freedom
> Scientific will be selling something called the URC Mate  (I just made that
> up) to allow you to update your facebook page, set your thermostat, and heat
> some water for your instant coffee. Of course, it will cost $7,000 and have
> a 128Mhz CPU and 32Mb of RAM. And we'll all be arguing whether its worth it
> vs the $1.99 IPhone app that does almost the same thing.
>
> PS: I'm joking, of course. I have a Pac Mate classic and I love (and hate
> it). I wouldn't have paid $6,00 for it new but at $1500 used, I think it was
> a good deal. Anyway, lets not get into a Pac Mate war here.

>>> 2. API calls the browser and asks for next piece of data
>>> 3. Browser delivers the data back to API
>>> 4. API delivers the data back to screen reader
>>>
>>> Thus, this API would add a layer of abstraction to the problem of
>>> obtaining
>>> data from the browser environment such that a screen reader ... if we
>>> limit
>>> the discussion to the context of reading web browser data ... wouldn't
>>> have
>>> to worry about how the data was organized in the browser.  The browser
>>> would
>>> have to worry about that.  This would put this headache on the browser
>>> developers and the screen reader would no longer have to code around data
>>> organization problems.  It wouldn't matter if some piece of data wasn't
>>> formatted correctly.  The API would provide a function such as ...
>>> "GetNextElement()".  When called, it would be the browser's
>>> responsibility
>>> to deal with the organization of the data, thus relieving the screen
>>> reader
>>> from having to write a bunch of very detailed and exception oriented code
>>> handle problems such as ... "what if the <P> tag is out of place?"... or
>>> ... "now we have to handle the <H1> tag appearing in the wrong place if
>>> it's
>>> the 7th Tuesday of the month and the year is 1215 AD".  You can see that
>>> having to code such exception-based code could be done by the screen
>>> reader
>>> ... but why?  It just makes the screen reader bloated and hard to
>>> maintain.
>>> And there would ALWAYS be another exception.
>>>
>>> If the API was defined completely, it wouldn't matter what the browser
>>> did
>>> internally.  The screen reader wouldn't have to deal with problems