[nfbcs] Captcha

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 28 16:40:11 UTC 2012

Well, I've been promoting digital IDs as a solution to the problem.

As a proof of concept, I set up a portion of my web site at
http://www.johnheim.net/ccso/ for sign-on with a certificate from
cacert.org. Cacert.org provides free digital certificates. The only catch is
that you have to have two other people who are already signed up with
cacert.org to "assure" you. In other words, you have to have two current
members vouch for your identitty.

If you have a digital ID from cacert.org, you can point a browser to
http://www.johnheim.net/ccso/ and click the sign-on link. Your browser will
then ask you to select a digital ID.  Select your cacert.org digital ID and
you're in. It is 100% accessible to anyone who can use a computer at all,
costs nothing, and is easy to configure.

I have a dream (fantasy?) of these long lines of blind people at the NFB and
ACB conventions waiting to sign up to get digital IDs from cacert.org and
then getting yahoo, google, and the rest to allow them as an alternative to
captchas. Or  serious sites like yahoo or google could issue their own
digital certificates.  When you create your account, you would get an email
with the digital certificate attached and instructions for installing it. In
fact, I believe the instructions could be as simple as "Click this link".
But you might want to use the digital ID on other computers so you would
probably save it to a thumb drive.

The ultimate solution to the problem of keeping out spammers is not captcha.
There is nothing that most humans can do that a computer cannot. Its just a
bogus concept in the first place.