[nfbcs] Captcha

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:05:55 UTC 2012

Computers are better at arithmetic than people are. The only reason a simple
arithmetic  problem works to keep out spammers is that its different. If a
lot of sites did that, it would be ineffective. I haven't been to the
Southwest Airlines site but assuming all you have to do is type in the
answer to a simple arithmetic problem in addition to your name and password,
it would take any good programmer just about 10 extra minutes to add that to
their screen scraper program. So the spammers haven't taken the time to
customize their spam bots for Soutwest Airlines yet.

Really, the whole captcha thing is like that. I doubt that writing code to
break captchas is all that difficult. But spammers have a marked tendency to
move on when faced with a little trouble. You don't have to make it very
hard for them because there are lots of other places that don't make it hard
at all.  There is a concept in email spam prevention called "grey listing".
All it does is make the sender wait for a short period of time before trying
again to send its mail.  Most dspam bots just move on w/o waiting. But if
everybody used greylisting, they'd just adjust their bots.  Nothing could be
simpler.  The only reasons they don't are that it would take a little longer
to send each message and there are plenty of other fish in the sea.

I really think the only reason that captchas still work is that spammers
haven't really turned their attention to breaking them yet.  First of all,
it would take their bots a few milliseconds longer to break into each site.
And besides, there are plenty of other fish in the sea.