[nfbcs] Accessibility (was: BMC Remedy web-based client)

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 18 16:35:53 UTC 2012

Right -- the biggest problem is ignorance.  I talked about a way to attack
that problem yesterday. Its to put some teeth into the 508 regulations and
the Rehab Act. Things like what the NFB did with the Kindle and Penn State
lawsuits.   If you work in a hospital, it probably is technically in
violation of the law because the hospital probably gets funding from the
federal government. I doubt there is a hospital in the USA that doesn't. Of
course, you
will never be able to do anything about it yourself. But i think there is
hope in that someday, we may be able to get developers of hospital software
to address accessibility by keeping just a few hospitals from buying
inaccessible software.

That NFB lawsuit against Penn State had an effect on the University of
Wisconsin. People here know about it and don't want it happening here.  So
that, in turn, puts pressure on everybody trying to sell software to the
University of Wisconsin and to universities anywhere in the USA. For
example, Oracle knows about that lawsuit. Whether they'll do anything about
accessibility is an open question but at the very least, accessibility is
now on their radar.