[nfbcs] dialup dynamics

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 22:10:29 UTC 2012

Greetings all --
I have a problem today with the networking on my old pc.  It is an old xp
box that I will soon be moving off of, but at the moment I still have things
I want to finish before I move.

The laptop has an intel wireless card that connects to the wireless router
in the house.  However, last year I had installed the software to connect to
the net through a 3g connect card from virgin mobile.  It worked, but when I
no longer needed it, I stopped using it.

Now I boot up my laptop and it connects to the house network, but when I go
into IE8 to connect to a website, all of a sudden, the old 3g dialup dialog
pops up, even though I am already connect to the local network.  What's
more, it appears something is preventing me from using the wireless network,
unless I close the browser and kill the dialup dialog.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?
I think the next thing I should try is to uninstall the broadband 3g
software, but I don't want to do that unless I have to, in case I need it.

TIA for any suggestions.
--le