[nfbcs] getting started with linux (was: talking Windows)

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Jun 15 16:47:29 UTC 2012

My opinion is that you should start by finding an older piece of hardware
and installing linux on it. Linux can run on a lot less powerful machine
than Windows does. If a machine once ran Windows XP, it will probably run
linux today.  I don't know what things are like where you live but here in
Madison, Wisconsin, machines like that are a dime a dozen. People will give
them away rather than pay the recycling fee.

Different distrobutions of linux are called "flavors". I primarily use a
flavor called debian. The current stable release of debian allows you to do
an install via a hardware speech synth.   Once the install is done, you can
use software speech. In fact, the GUI screen reader, orca,  will be enabled
by default if you do a talking install via a hardware synth.   There is no
way to install with software speech.

Right now, I don't know of a way to do a talking install without a hardware
speech synthesizer. The next version of debian linux will have a talking
install. And you can try it already. The install itself worked very well for
me last time I tried it but once the install was done, I couldn't get speech
working. Go figure. You could try it though. The current testing release is
code named wheezy. Or if you have a hardware speech synth, you could start
with debian stable (code named squeeze).
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/debian-installer/

Another thing you could do is try some of the live CDs out there. I usually
use a flavor called grml for that.  But grml is intended as a rescue disk.
So if your machine crashes, you can boot grml and fix it.  But it doesn't
have a GUI.
http://www.grml.org.

There is documentation on http://wiki.iavit.org on getting speech with grml.

Another live CD is vinux. This is a flavor of linux based on ubuntu which
you may have heard of. Vinux is just like ubuntu except that its customized
for the visually impaired.
http://www.vinuxproject.org

PS: I'd rather not do private email because I think others might be able to
contribute or  benefit from what we say here. That's kind of the whole point
of an email list.